Monday, July 23, 2012

Fluency


What I noticed most about the readings today was the emphasis on “meaning” in fluency. I’ve noticed with my own reading that sometimes when I read out loud I have no idea what I’ve actually read. For children who are well below reading level, this concept greatly applies. In this case, I like the emphasis that both readings put on rereading for understanding. Rereading not only increases the amount of exposure to new and old words, but it gives children a chance to improve the three elements of fluency. Repetition increases accuracy because it allows for teacher correction. It allows for the second dimension of automatic processing because the children need to work less and less to understand text without effort. Lastly, when a child can accurately read a book and he or she has high automatic processing, they can focus on improving prosodic reading. 

This hand out I found would be great to give to parents to increase their understanding of what I am trying to accomplish in class, as well as encourage them to continue teaching in the home. 


Click here if you want to see the site where you can download this!

No comments:

Post a Comment