Monday, July 16, 2012

Phonemic Awareness

      Phonemic Awareness is something that took me by surprise. It's one of those concepts that I honestly never stopped to consider. I can't specifically remember how I learned phonemic awareness and now it seems so simple that it's almost hard for me to believe I never understood it - even though I know that's not true. Yopp & Yopp made three clear points to attack teaching phonemic awareness that I found very important.
  1. Use child appropriate activities.
  2. Phonemic awareness should be deliberate and purposeful.
  3. Phonemic awareness instruction is only one part of a larger literacy program.
     I liked that the article was very child centered and "understanding" focused. The article gave many clear examples of how to teach this concept to chidlren in a way that is meaningful. I found that it strongly correlated with the "Sound it Out" article because this article emphasized coaching in creative ways. My overall impression from both readings was that as a teacher I need to be really emphasizing understanding alongside getting creative with my explanations. I think phonemic awareness is something that can very easily be turned into monotonous drilling exercises, and I like that we are being challeneged to think outside the box to help children understand. 

    This game reminded me of the lunchbox activity described in the article. The "real life" aspect to this method of teaching phonemes keeps kids engaged and on task.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Grace,

    I like that this article pointed out that phonemic awareness should be purposeful and deliberate. I think that throughout all this educational reform, deliberate teaching has been devalued in some cases. Phonemic awareness is not something that will be learned if not directly taught and it is an important skill (idea) to bring children's attention to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if phonics is going to be used, that it's important to to make it meaningful to the students so they are reinforced to understand what's going on. I think the activity you included was a great example of this because by keeping them engaged and using words/objects that could actually be felt, touched, or even tasted from "the bag" would be a neat way to keep them engaged.

      Delete