Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Assessment/Readability

        As I read more and more articles on reading instruction I am struck with the powerful message of individualism that permeates every text. The modern day classroom does not operate on a "group instruction" method and is not expected to. When we look at children who struggle to read and need early intervention, it really shows me how careful I as a teacher need to be when assessing an individual student. Children with disabilities especially need this extra care and consideration. The entire idea of EIS and RTI are designed to help these students improve before the gap between themselves and other students widens too far. But what is really most important about all of this is the individual instruction they receive to catch up! I think it's great that teachers who are working with these students undergo intense professional development. This not only challenges the teachers to be better, but teaches us that learning never really ends.
        I also found the readability formula extremely interesting. I had no idea that you could literally copy and paste a text to figure out what grade level and difficulty it is! While there are many different formulas to use, the overall theme is that we can predict how difficult a book is and then we can provide individual instruction on these books to our different leveled students.

I found a readability formula generator where you just copy and paste the text into the box. I copy and pasted this blog and it came out with the various "formulas" and their prognosis for my blog's readability. This blog is apparently in the 11th grade - college level reading level. Yay!

Find the formula here! 


2 comments:

  1. I also found the readability formula very interesting. It doesn't get much easier than copying and pasting! Thanks for the link to the free text readability consensus calculator! It is such an easy way to help our students by making sure the books they are reading are on their level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Madison, it is so helpful to have a readability calculator on hand. Think of how helpful it will be when we start teaching! The point you made about considering each individual student is so important. If we are not meeting the children on their own personal level of need, we are not able to truly help them learn.

    ReplyDelete